Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Roasted Vegetable Mac and Cheese

Photo and recipe from thecomfortofcooking

This is soooo tasty! I loved it, the kids were ok with it.  They ate it all, but it wasn't their favorite, but I think that's because I said I was making mac n cheese, and I think they were expecting Kraft! ;)  Next time I'll just say I'm making pasta.

About 1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 yellow squash, chopped
1-2 zucchini, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cups macaroni
1/4 cup olive oil + more for roasting
1 garlic clove, minced (or 1 tsp crushed)
3 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%)
2 cups shredded cheese (whatever you like- I used the Mexican blend because it's what I had)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.  Toss the vegetables on a baking sheet with olive oil and salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes.

In the meantime, boil your pasta per package directions.  Heat oil in a dutch oven or large pan over medium heat and add garlic; cook 30 seconds.  Whisk in the flour and cook 1 minute.  Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.  Remove from heat.  Stir in cheese until melted.  Add pasta, vegetables and salt and pepper.

Place the mixture in a casserole dish (you may top with breadcrumbs if you want at this point- I did not) and bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment