Monday, August 24, 2015
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, divided
1 bag frozen brown rice (I use the TJs kind that comes 3 bags in a box)
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 heaping tsp. ground cumin
2- 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth (but if you use chicken, it won't be vegetarian)
chopped fresh avocado
crumbled feta (and/or shredded jack or cheddar for the kids)
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add about 1/2 the onion, cooking until softened. Add rice and saute a few minutes. Remove rice from pan and set aside.
Using the same pan, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil, add remaining onion and cook until softened. Add coriander and cumin, stir 1 minute. Add beans, broth; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, occasionally mashing beans, until thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
Either scoop rice into separate bowls and put a large spoonful of bean mixture on top OR, what we always do, just mix the rice into the bean mixture.
Top each bowl with chopped cilantro, chopped avocado and crumbled feta.
Original recipe hereGary and the kids (but especially Gary!) loved these! It's not health food by any means, but it's better than regular chocolate cake and at least has a cup of zucchini hidden inside! They were very moist.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (**I used a gluten free flour mix instead of whole wheat. Next time, I'm going to try all GF flour because they were plenty moist)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a muffin pan by spraying cavities with non-stick spray or insert muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and the cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, applesauce, vegetable oil, milk, and the vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the zucchini and the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst each cavity (for only 12 muffins, you will need to fill each one very full). Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let muffins cool. Store leftovers in an airtight container.