Monday, March 28, 2016

Slow Cooker Picadillo

This is a Cuban dish I got from skinnytaste- it is SO good! I slightly adapted her recipe. Even the kids loved it- here are their dishes after eating with no complaining!

1 lb. ground turkey
1 minced onion
2-3 minced garlic cloves (1heaping tsp crushed)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 diced tomato (I cut up grape tomatoes- about 1 cup)
8 oz tomato sauce
1/2 cup alcaparrado (I used the sliced Spanish salad olives from target)
1tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat in a skillet; season generously with salt and pepper. Add the onions and garlic and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. 

Transfer the meat to crockpot and add the tomato sauce, tomato, cilantro, olives, cumin and 1 cup water (I used a little bit of olive juice and just under a cup of water). 

Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Serve over brown rice. 

**Here is my confession- the original recipe calls for 2.5 lbs of beef, but I didn't even read it and just assumed it used only one tray of ground meat instead of two, so I only used about 1 lb of ground turkey, but kept the rest of the measurements the same (except I increased the olives!!!). It turned out so good that I'm keeping it that way! Plus, 2.5 lbs of meat is way too much for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment