Monday, January 14, 2013

White Lightening Chicken Chili


I made this last night, and it was amazing!!  Even Ella liked it.  I think we all liked it better than my other white chicken chili recipe.  Instead of using all navy beans like the recipe calls for, I used 3 different varieties:

1 large sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 2 tsp crushed garlic from TJ's)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth (I only used 16 oz. and will use less next time)
2 (4.5 oz.) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
1 (1.25 oz.) package white chicken chili seasoning mix (I used McCormicks- great flavor)
3 (16 oz.) cans navy beans, undrained (I used cannellini, great northern and navy)
Shredded cheese for topping
Chopped avocado for topping (did not use)
*we added Fritos to the bottom of each bowl!

Saute onion and garlic in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender.  [From here, I put the beans in a crockpot, mashed some of them and then added the rest of the ingredients; put on low for about an hour and then switched to the "warm" setting until we were ready to eat; served with Fritos on the bottom of the bowl & cheddar cheese on top- this enabled me to make it earlier in the day since late afternoons are always too busy for cooking in our house!].  Stir in chicken, next 3 ingredients and 2 cans navy beans.  Coarsely mash remaining can navy beans and stir into chicken mixture.  Bring to a boil, stirring often; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.  Serve with desired toppings.

Southern Living mag.

**I made this again but cooked it all day in the crockpot.  I sauteed the onion and garlic in oil, and then put them with all other ingredients (except the chicken broth) in the crockpot with 3 fresh chicken breasts (about 1.25 lbs.), mixed it up, cooked on low for 8 hours.  I shredded the chicken with 2 forks after about 7 hours.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment