Recipe and photo from ChocolatecoveredkatieIn an effort to offset my last dessert post, here is a healthy dessert recipe! The author of the recipe says that people are fooled, and they taste the same as regular brownies. They do NOT taste like regular brownies. However, for flour-less, egg-less, white sugar-less brownies, they are really good and satisfying, and best of all, Gary and kids loved them. They are very fudge-y not cake-y and they are better after being in the fridge because they wouldn't stay together when we tried to eat them out of the pan prior to refrigerating. In addition, you can easily make these gluten free!
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or agave (I used maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (I used just under 2/3 cup)
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8x8 pan. Cook the black bean brownies 18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut.